NSF-funded REIL-Biology is partnering with national conferences to offer development opportunities to incorporate your own research in laboratory courses. Applications for 2015 and 2016 workshops at ASCB, CUR, and GSA meetings are open now. Recruit a research or education faculty to participate with you in a pre-conference workshop on research in lab courses. Travel funds are available. For more details, see below and attached.
For details contact:
Rachelle Spell and Chris Beck
1510 Clifton Road
Atlanta, Georgia 30322
BRING YOUR RESEARCH TO THE STUDENTS
Travel funds available for teams of research and education faculty to develop research modules for introductory biology laboratory classes
Supported by NSF-UBE REIL-Biology
Why course-based research?
Students gain when they experience real research in intro bio lab classes.
• Meet the challenge of Vision and Change to increase student exposure to research
• Expand exposure to all students in introductory Biology laboratory classes
• High impact pedagogy increases student interest in science careers
Get support for developing lab modules using your research.
• Faculty need time and support to develop new lab class modules
• Collaboration of research + education faculty from one institution can address specific needs and opportunities
REIL-Biology sponsors a one-day workshop immediately preceding national conferences. Participants will work with faculty who have experience in course-based research to:
• hear about the benefits of course-based research experiences for students and faculty
• learn strategies for overcoming barriers to implementing course-based research experiences
• work in institutional teams to develop research modules for their intro biology courses
We support the costs of a research and education faculty collaborators who are not members to travel to the workshop and conference:
§ American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) Annual Meeting, Dec 12-16, 2015, San Diego – [Apply by November 1 at http://rcn.ableweb.org/reil-biology-workshop-at-ascb-2015/ ]
§ Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) National Conference, June 25-28, 2016, USF, Tampa – [Apply by May 1 at http://rcn.ableweb.org/reil-biology-workshop-cur/ ]
§ The Allied Genetics Conference (TAGC), July 13-17, 2016, Orlando – [Apply by June 1 at http://rcn.ableweb.org/reil-biology-workshop-tagc/ ]